6.26.2007

...in loving memory of ken hill.

over a week ago i was home for a few days.

for those of you who knew me in high school, you know that I used to sing at the lighthouse bible bookstore in dublin several times a year in the back of the store where they had a stage and small coffee shop (many of you faithfully came to hear me sing every time i was there). my voice teacher Judy Curtis was always finding new ways for me to sing and practice being comfortable in front of an audience, and this was one of my favorite places to do that. Ken Hill, one of the bookstore owners, was always there cheering me on and encouraging me. he even invited me back a few times in college to sing and play guitar. he was a great guy who I would often stop by and see when I needed new music, background tapes or books.

so my mom and i stopped by on friday (june 16th) because I needed a few books and had not seen Ken in years. we were pleasantly surprised he was there and got the chance to catch up with him. i told him what i had been up to over the past few years and he of course congratulated me on being pregnant. he told my mom that she would love being a grandparent and spoke of his family. we got on a few various tangents and even talked about heaven…

…i found out that sunday (father’s day- june 17th) that he had died in a plane accident the day before. we had literally seen him less than 24 hours before he died. here is an article about him and about the circumstances of his accident: two killed in livermore & ken hill

Ken was a great man and i know that he will be missed by his family, friends and the community. i appreciate the kindness he always showed me…God used him to encourage me and build me up as a young woman, a singer and a child of God. my mom and i are very grateful that we decided to stop into the bookstore when we did…i guess you never know when you are going to see someone again.

No comments: